Masterplans and Development Frameworks
Award-winning masterplans for complex, mixed-use development in town centres, urban extensions, heritage areas, waterfronts and research, health and education campuses.
- Strood Waterfront Masterplan │2017- 2018 │Medway Council
- Barnsley Town Centre Prospectus│2014 – 2015│Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
- Purfleet PRIDE Development Framework │2006 – 2013│Thurrock Council
- Scotswood Masterplan│2007 – 2009│Newcastle City Council
Working alongside local communities to agree regeneration strategies. Bespoke engagement techniques including on-site drop-in shop, international residents’ study tours, and video workshops.
- Angell Town Estate Action Masterplan│1994 – 95│Lambeth Council
- Aylesbury Estate AAP │2007- 08│London Borough of Southwark & Aylesbury New Deal for Communities
- Southend Better Queensway Masterplan │2015 – 2019│Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
Capacity and Viability Studies
Using three-dimensional modelling with bespoke spreadsheets to rapidly test multiple development scenarios in a workshop format
- North Middlesex University Hospital Masterplan│2019 – 2020│NMUH NHS Trust/GLA
- Regent’s Quarter │1999│English Heritage
Research and Strategic Advice
Researching evidence including international case studies and long-term forward views.
- Milton Keynes 2050│ 2017│Milton Keynes Council
- Healthy New Towns │2015 – 2019│NHS England
- High Density Living │2010│Waltham Forrest Council
- Vancouver Housing Strategy│ 2016│Ernst and Young for City of Vancouver
Visioning and Co-Design
Working with clients, stakeholders and design teams to identify what makes a development special
- Bishop’s Stortford Goods Yard│March 2016 – March 2017│Solum Regeneration
- Orléans Pont de l’Europe Masterplan│2005│Agglomération Orléans Val de Loire (Orléans and the Loire Valley Metropolitan Council), Ville d’Orléans (Orléans City Council), Ville de Saint-Jean-de-la-Ruelle
Design Guides and Design Codes
20 years’ experiencing drafting Design Codes. Providing training material on Design Codes for the Planning Inspectorate. Drafting the London Mayor’s Housing Design Guide (later adapted to form the GLA Housing SPD).
- Design Code Training│2020 │Planning Inspectorate
- Harlow Design Guide│2010 │Harlow Council
- Garden Village at Handforth Design Code│2019 – 2020│Cheshire East Council/Engine of the North
- London Mayor’s Housing Design Guide│GLA
Relating development to transport accessibility to optimise density and leverage investment. At Dublin’s Northern Fringe development has been structured around a new mainline rail station.
- Integrated Transport and Urban Planning Report │June 2018 – March 2019│Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Dublin Northern Fringe Masterplan│2004 – 2005│Dublin City Council
Health and Wellbeing Strategies
Applying lessons from advising NHS England’s Healthy New Town Programme to strategies in growth areas and urban regeneration. Objective assessment using TfL’s Healthy Streets tool.
- St Pancras Hospital│ 2019│Argent
- Healthy Streets Assessment│2020│South London & Maudsley NHS Trust
- Aintree Hospital Healthy Living Community│2018 – 2020 │Aintree University Hospital NHS Trust
Outline and Detail Planning Permission
Designs and documentation for a variety of development from a Health Innovation Campus for Lancaster University to a rural exceptions site housing in the Oxford-Cambridge arc and infill housing in Lambeth.
- Lancaster Health Innovation Campus (HIC)│2018 – 2020│Lancaster University
- Dunsty Hill Farm, Aylesbury Vale│2019 – 2020│Highbarrow Holdings
- Angell Town Boiler House Site│2019 – 2020│Homes for Lambeth
Advising on Design Quality
Helping public sector bodies select development partners. Member of the Design Panels including working with Guildford Council and their partners on three growth area masterplans.
- Developer Procurement│2020│Carter Jonas for West Sussex County Council
- Better Queensway Advisory Services│2015 – 2019│Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
- Purfleet Masterplan│2012 – 2013│Thurrock Council
- Canada Water│ 1999│Southwark Council
Expert design witness on a number of inquiries including the Camden Town Station inquiry, Scotswood CPO inquiry and Thurrock Local Plan EIP.
- Sotheron Place │ 2019 │Caerus Developments